On May 7, 2020, Governor Steve Sisolak announced that as of May 9, 2020, Nevada was entering into Phase 1 of its recovery from the Covid-19-related shut downs. A complete copy of the plan can be found at https://nvhealthresponse.nv.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Roadmap-to-Recovery-Phase-One-Initial-Guidance.pdf.
How does this affect your business? Let’s start with the easier question. What remains closed?
- Gaming Establishments;
- Bars, pubs and taverns that do not have a license to serve food;
- Gyms & fitness facilities;
- Entertainment and recreational venues;
- Brothels and houses of prostitution;
- Adult entertainment establishments;
- Aesthetic service establishments (except nail, hair salons and barber shops – see more below); and
- Body art and piercing establishments.
For those business that can reopen, it becomes more challenging. First, you need to know that your business qualifies and second, you need to understand and follow the restrictions. The definitions and restrictions can be hard to understand, so I would encourage you to reach out to a Nevada Lawyer (whether it is me or someone else) to make sure you are following the law. Generally, the businesses that can reopen (again with significant restrictions) are:
- Pubs, wineries, bars and breweries that serve food;
- Barber shops, hair salons and nail salons;
- Retail business; and
- Cannabis businesses.
I cannot impress upon you how important it is that you strictly follow the directives of phase 1. If you go beyond the directives (open when you are not permitted or fail to follow the restrictions), your ability to do business into the future may be adversely affected. Please contact me as soon as possible to ensure that you are compliant.
In addition, please join the webinar that I am hosting with the Henderson Chamber of Commerce on May 14, 2020, to learn the best practices in negotiating your way through the pandemic. You may register for this free webinar (you do not need to be a Henderson Chamber of Commerce member) through this link: https://mms.hendersonchamber.com/Calendar/moreinfo_responsive.php?eventid=371424&org_id=HEND